Wednesday, October 24, 2012

3.5: First Impressions

It's been almost 2 weeks  since 3.5 launched, and I've had a chance to experience about half of the new content.  Here are my thoughts on what I've checked out so far:

The Brusthonin/Theobomos Raids

This is a fun new addition to Aion that I think both factions enjoy.   Allowing PVP raids to
2 previously PVE only zones is bound to be popular.   I get alot of kills quickly and a fair amount
of AP depending on who's there.  I've run it 3 times since the launch.  It's kind of like a cross
between an abyss fort raid and the PVP at West Shard. 
There's about 4 quests that can be picked up before rifting.  The one that asks to kill 5 players
of the opposite faction is completed within about 1-2 minutes of arriving or even less,  if you're joining the
alliance later on.  Other members of your alliance are busy completing the kills for you,
and you get the credit. 
There's alot of guards and players to deal with,  so pushing forward really isn't that easy,  but thats
what's needed to complete the rest of the quests.  The Elyos quest asks players to kill NPC Gien of Baltasar
Hill Village,  and Asmodians are asked to destroy the dimensional generator. 
My only complaint is the rifting curse (Azphel's curse) that I've acquired twice.  On my 2nd run I got the curse after about 30 min or so,  and on my last run I acquired it within 1 min of arriving!  I told myself that I would only stay about 15 min or so in order to avoid it,  but I hadn't counted on getting cursed within 1 min....
The curse lasts for about 3 days,  and puts a stop on rifting anywhere else,  which is bad because rifting
in 3.5 is now open to level 60s for all previously low level regions. 
My conclusion?  I'll be avoiding the curse by doing homeland defense:  I'll be part of the "Welcome Committee" in Theo next time the raid begins :D 
The raids begin at 8 p.m. PST

Arena of Harmony

This is also alot of fun.  As mentioned in my earlier post,  this is the first time in the EC instances where
group chat has been allowed (not that there's much time for chat,  but a few necessary things can be said).  You're paired up with one other person to fight 2 other couples.  The stages are all new too. I like the ice one - its very pretty!  If you come in first you get the chance to receive an Arena of Glory ticket.  Get 3 of those and you get to run the Arena of Glory.  One other nice thing about this:  you can choose your partner and apply as a group.  This way you can run it with a friend. 

Dredgion on the New Instance Server

Let me just say this:  for those of us who like to run dredge but have had to wait 30 min or more for it to pop,  the problem has finally been fixed once and for all!  Thank goodness!
Fast service has arrived - dredge now pops within 5 min,  and often within 1 or 2! 
The reason? The new instance server sources players from across all the Aion servers,  so group formation
is alot faster.  Whether you queue with a premade group or request private or quick entry,  the instance
still pops quickly. 
The downside:  The instance server is laggy at times,  and had a problem with disconnects shortly after
the launch.  From what I can tell the dc problem has been fixed,  but the lagginess does remain at times.
This is because the instance server not only sources dredge,  but every other instance in the game,  so
its a busy server. 

That's my report so far.  I haven't run any of the new high lvl instances like Tiamat Stronghold or Dragon
Lord's Refuge yet.  I'll add some pics as soon as I can .  Thanks for reading and have fun in Aion!

No comments:

Post a Comment